Friday 30 March 2007

Leaving KL

Despite three weeks' planning, the final hours were chaotic and rushed, but I've made it as far as Dubai. My six hour wait is flying by - an hour of trying to sleep on the floor accompanied by a hauntingly tuneful call to prayer was followed by a hunt for breakfast, which led me rather surprisingly to an Irish pub. There I came across Charlotte Ainslie who kindly treated me to breakfast, and now I've found that this city of an airport even provides free internet.

It felt strange to be leaving KL, maybe because it feels more like leaving than just going on holiday. Final destination unknown... Quite daunting but very exciting - brought home by saying goodbyes to Paul and Laura and Kate yesterday.
And as for Caroline and Callum, it felt like leaving home - it's been so lovely staying with them.

Now I'm fully awake again, I'm beginning to enjoy that airport buzz that I missed out on in KL last night. Departure boards listing Casablanca, Damascus, Abidjan, Birmingham... That feeling of being nowhere but nearly anywhere, a foot in all timezones.

Here goes...

No comments: