Friday 20 April 2007

Mozambique


This was the second best sign I spotted in Blantyre. My favourite was painted on a supermarket wall:

WE SELL:
EDIBLE GROCERIES
INEDIBLE GROCERIES

- I can't remember what else they sold, and unfortunately didn't have time to get a photo.

We left Blantyre and headed for the border. We only had to sit around at the Mozambique post for a couple of hours, which is apparently quite good. Plenty of time for lunch while our visas were being processed.

We pulled off the road to set up camp for the night, just before the sun sank, sending the flat-topped acacia trees and yellowing long grass into scenic silhouette. The sky was clear and I gazed at the stars till my neck ached. Sat round a roaring bonfire and it was hard - so hard - to tear myself away to go to sleep. Could happily have stayed up all night. I wish we had more bushcamps - you only need a beer and a shower every now and then, after all. Although the air was cooler, the groundsheet was still warm to touch from the hot dry soil beneath and I slept bagless with the tent open, until woken by a group of people trying to drive a donkey cart through our camp - we were blocking their path, but their chatter didn't sound angry.

A shame not to have seen more of Mozambique, rather than just drive across it. Next time, next time...


No comments: