Monday 21 April 2008

Barcelona

Checking in amidst the madness that is Marrakesh airport, I got chatting to a Kiwi couple. Horrified that I planned to overnight at Barcelona airport between flights, they insisted that I came back to their appartment for the night.

It was late when we got to Barcelona, but they waited for me to get my luggage, organized a taxi big enough to add me to their group of four, and off we went to their place. They blew up a mattress and gave me directions to the bus stop for the early morning airport bus I'd need. The door was left unlocked so I wouldn't need to disturb them as I left.

I am moved by the generosity and trust these people showed me. Like a glimpse into an ideal world, it was immensely touching and somehow hope-affirming.

The kindness of strangers.

No comments: