Saturday 23 August 2008

Doha

Have moved. This flat is enormous. I'm thinking of opening a 40 bed backpackers' hostel. I'm in a complex called Seven Pearls, for which read seven blocks. I have walked about 12 miles just unpacking my flight luggage and a bit of shopping, though it would have been less if I hadn't kept getting lost between the bedroom and living room. I have 2 bedrooms, and a living space that includes a miniature hotel lobby with those naff hotel lobby chairs and tables on the way to the living and dining bit. I have four coffee tables, three toilets, two plastic trees and a dishwasher. But only one bowl, one plate and a spoon. Refuse to buy more in case my shipping actually turns up. The fridge is so big I could (and might) sit in it quite comfortably. Probably on a chair.

But before it all sounds too good to be true, it's a bit dark and gloomy and the sofa stinks and is greasy and generally reminiscent of seriously unwashed hair. But luckily there are numerous seating options (14 chairs and 2 sofas) so some rearrangement may be possible so that I can slob out in front of the TV in between shopping malls.

Thinking of which, trundling round Carrefour this evening looking for irons, kettles and emergency food supplies did give me a whack of deja vu. Then left me confused as they didn't have the same stock as KL of course. Friday evening is the busiest shopping time of the week and it was packed and crazy - but unlike Malaysia there were checkouts with no-one, yes no-one waiting. Carrefour was in the most bizarre shopping mall I've ever seen. It's styled on Venice, apparently, so above the shopfronts there are supposedly Italian style traditional house upper storey facades and above them a blue sky with a few wispy clouds. But best of all, canals flow through the mall and weary shoppers can take a gondola ride. Kid you not. Mind you, doing one loop on foot did fairly wear me out.

The heat is amazing but it's the humidity that's come as a surprise. Stepping out into it is like going into a sauna where someone's just sloshed water onto the coals. Or when there's a breeze it's like having a hair dryer constantly on, on a very slow very hot setting. I may even have to use the aircon. And the gym. And the pool (unfortunately indoor) Looks like running will be a problem till the weather cools - even nights are like Malaysian days. Darker though.

No comments: