Monday 23 March 2009

My mate Zhang Xinhua

... or maybe Qin Kai.

Out for a little jog on Friday morning, I came across a handful of people limbering up outside a hotel wearing tracksuits that announced that they were the Chinese something team. One member waved hello with a cheery smile so I stopped for a brief conversation in sign and smile language. My question was answered with a graceful swoop of a hand - divers.

Back home I googled and discovered that the world series had come to Doha, an invitation event featuring the top-placed Olympic divers. I realised that my "What sport?" question had very probably been addressed to one of China's golden boys, holder of half a dozen Olympic medals, someone who would have been mobbed outside a Beijing hotel.

But it meant that I did go to see the evening session on Saturday. Not an event I'd normally seek out, but it was rather enjoyable and not only because there's little to do in Doha. Mark and I quickly came to fancy ourselves as expert judges in between being awed specatators. Other highlights included the Mexican syncronised 10m platform buttock-wiping and the pairs of men in speedos face-to-face as they practised synch-dives on the poolside with the stilted grace of music-box wind-up ballerinas.

Doha is chasing - and getting - major sporting events. In January I went to the men's semi-finals at the tennis, watching Murray, Federer, Roddick and the Frenchman whose name I've forgotten. The cycling I've mentioned here already. Events are free or unbelievably cheap. The stands are rarely full.

Two or three years ago, Doha hosted the Asian games, so they definitely have world class facilities. I remember reading last year that there was some speculation over their Olympic bid - Doha didn't make the shortlist and one UK newspaper reported claims that this was because with the money that could be put behind the bid it would almost cerainly win. The official reason was that the proposal was to hold the games in October, outside the regular summer Olympic window. I never read any more about it, so don't know if this view was shared by others.

Anyway, part of being here and staying sane is to say yes to anything. Except maybe synchronised swimming.

No comments: